MealWars Swiss Steak
Swiss steak is a comfort food that seems to have fallen out of favor in recent years. It's a great way to create an awesome meal out of a cheap, tough cut of meat.
- 1 Eye Round Roast or other tough cut of meat. 3-4 lbs
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 ¾ cups beef broth or stock
- ¾ cup of red wine
- 2 tbsp neutral flavored cooking oil
- 2 cups of flour gluten free works just as well as wheat flour
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Instructions are basically the same for all cooking methods.
- Place all ingredients in the pot.
- If using an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker, set the timer to 25 minutes or 30 minutes if doing a larger amount of meat.
- If using a pot on the stove, you can set this to low heat and let it slowly simmer for 2-2.5 hours.
- You can also place into a 300 degree oven for 2 hours.
- Once cooked, separate your meat and place it aside, covered in foil.
- Create a corn starch slurry by dissolving a heaping tbsp of corn starch in a half cup of water.
- Add the corn starch mixture to the sauce while it is still on heat and stir.
- The sauce should thicken very quickly and you are ready to serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!